Gary J. Collins received his undergraduate degree with high honors, and a Masters in Labor and Industrial Relations from Michigan State University; and his Juris Doctor degree from Wayne State University. Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Collins was employed for two years by the Michigan Association of School Boards as a Labor Relations Consultant and for four years by Grand Blanc Community Schools as Director of Labor Relations. Mr. Collins has represented over 30 Michigan School Districts in all phases of collective bargaining, including mediation, fact finding and arbitration. Gary J. Collins co-authored The Michigan Teacher and Tenure with William J. Blaha, with the Eighth Edition released in 2017. Mr. Collins also co-authored The Michigan Teacher and Administrator Evaluations in 2016.
Mr. Collins was rated in the Top Attorneys in Michigan in Crains Detroit Business in 2019 and was peer selected as a Michigan Super Lawyer in Schools and Education law in 2021 and 2022.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- Admitted to the State Bar of Michigan
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court, Western District of Michigan
- 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Michigan State University (B.A.)
- Michigan State University (Masters in Labor and Industrial Relations)
- Wayne State University Law School (J.D.)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, Tax, and Labor / Employment Sections of the State Bar of Michigan;
- American Arbitration Association
- Michigan Association of School Board
- Michigan and National Councils of School Attorney
- Bond Buyer’s Directory of Municipal Bond Dealers.
- Michigan House Committee on Education (Teacher Tenure)
- Tri-County Alliance (Teacher Evaluations & Teacher Tenure)
- Michigan Elementary and Middle School Principals Association (Teacher Tenure)
- Michigan Association of School Administrators (Teacher Evaluations & Teacher Tenure
- Co-Author of the 1993, 2002, 2009 and 2017 editions of the Michigan Teacher and Tenure
- Co-Author of the 2016 edition of The Michigan Teacher and Administrator Evaluations